Green Tips and Resources
Being green isn't always easy, but to make things easier we've gathered a few tips and suggestions to get you started on your journey to a more sustainable lifestyle.
Driving is Probably Your #1 Environmental Impact
- Drive less by walking and biking more
- If you do need to drive somewhere, try to combine stops into one trip rather than making several different trips during the week (i.e. go to the grocery store, bakery, and gas station in one trip instead of separate trips)
- Choose a fuel efficient car
- Choose Ethanol-10 (E10) for your vehicle ( available at Holiday on Euclid in Helena)
- Drive smart and maintain your vehicle, visit FuelEconomy.gov for more information.
- Change all light bulbs in your house to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). They use less energy and will last 5-10 years before needing to be replaced.
- Turn off and unplug all unused electronics.
- When doing laundry, use cold water and allow clothes to air dry.
- Learn more about conserving energy and calculate your energy savings with the Green Ribbon Pledge.
Start Using Alternative Energy Sources
Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
- Check out the Recycling Guide for Helena
- Buy recycled products whenever possible - A common recycled item is office paper (many types of recycled paper available at TreeCycle).
- Set your printer default to save ink and duplex print if possible.
- Remember to use reusable water bottles and shopping bags instead of similar disposable items.
- Donate all unwanted items rather than throw them away- If transportation is an issue, items can be listed on websites like FreeCycle or Craigslist.
When Constructing Your Home or Business
- Use sustainably harvested materials
- Use recycled or reusable materials - Check out Habitat for Humanity's ReStore nearest to you for materials. There are ReStores located in Helena, Belgrade, Billings, and Great Falls.
- To see an example of sustainable building, check out the Cord Wood Construction and other great building life-time opportunities at the Sage Mountain Center located in Whitehall, MT.
Green Holiday Guide
- For information on greening your holiday season, check out our green holiday guide, or for a more in-depth guide, check out our green holiday slideshow.